ORANGES & SLICES

Less than a month to go until I get to hang work in Taos, New Mexico.  I am so thrilled. This has been a life long goal.  We plan to travel there on April 30th, spend the night and hang the show at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 1st.  I hope we get to enjoy one of the Trading Post Cafe's amazing meals on Saturday night.

These oranges were so much fun to paint. I hadn't noticed that the last three pieces were all red and when I realized that, I was determined to go another direction.  I used a brown background for the first time and really liked the natural setting it gave the fruit.  I've had friends comment that the piece looks extremely photorealistic even with the use of deep violets and electric oranges.  I've been interested in using a wide variety of vivid background colors so I was concerned that a brown background might not fit in the series - wrong! 

This digital image is from a scan of the piece but it still fails to really capture the accurate palette of rich oranges I used in the work.  (I need a color lesson in PhotoShop.)

"Oranges with Slices"
11" x 8"
Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes Paper

Only two more pieces to go!!!

Comments

Popular Posts