AND I'M OFF!

"Nest"
5" x 5" Watercolor, Ink & Colored Pencil on Old Dictionary Page

I am obsessed with drawing on pages I've torn out of a discarded, library dictionary.  In fact, for a brief time I got the bright idea that I would create 40 dictionary drawings in 40 days as part of Lent - well that ain't happening.  However, I am having a grand time playing on these old pages and I have more ideas than time.

A pastor at our local church gave me a gift card as thanks for painting the scenery for our Christmas nativity and I recently used it to purchase a new brand of colored pencils.  I love trying out different brands and this time I purchased some Derwent Coloursoft pencils - Wow!  I love how these are a strange combination of colored pencil and pastels. They are not as waxy as traditional colored pencils.  I also recently purchased some brown Micron ink pens after seeing a really clever children's book illustrated in watercolor and brown pen.  This little piece included all of those great, new supplies.

Just for fun, I decided to digitally add some text to the piece.  Drawing on dictionary pages isn't anything new and I've discovered a lot of artists do digital prints on vintage papers and sell them.  I thought adding text might be a creative touch to possible prints.  I may even print some out and varnish them on wooden blocks....who knows.  Tell me what you think.




Comments

Definitely love the text on it. It really adds something special, I think. That one would be adorable in a nursery or kid's room. Once again, amazing!
Mari said…
this is a really interesting idea love your art :)

Popular Posts