2013 SUNFLOWER FESTIVAL

Come see me at the Sunflower Art, Food & Wine Festival

I am once again participating with an art booth at our community's Sunflower Art, Food and Wine Festival.  I've been dragging my feet about exhibiting this year because the emphasis seems to be mostly on attracting vinyards from around our state rather than building an event by and for local artists.  The festival no longer offers awards to artists but spends lots of money to woo wineries - none of which are local.

In years past, the sponsors for this event have given local artists banners to paint which were displayed on main street prior to the festival.  I loved this project and so did a lot of other artists.  It was always fun to see your work displayed in your home town all along the street.  The sponsors did away with that this year which really disappointed me and angered others.

I have built up a lot of framed inventory for my summer show schedule and I enjoy showing my work to friends and family in the area.  I live just a few, short blocks from main street.  The staff of the festival are extremely kind and supportive so it makes sense to contribute to the event even though I wish it would be more about art and helping local artists market their work.  I strongly suspect this will be the last attempt at holding this kind of event in our community.  That makes me very sad.




Comments

Popular Posts