STEP ONE IS A SEPIA INK DRAWING


I included information about my process of working on antique dictionary pages on my blog a long time ago - it all begins with a sepia ink drawing on the page.  I have always loved to draw so this stage is my favorite.

I believe these ink drawings could stand alone without adding any color but I continue to paint each piece to have a unified series of my work.  

One of the challenges of this stage in my work is composing my drawing around the definition on the page.  A lot depends on the placement of the definition - if it is high, left or right or smack-dab in the center of the page.  I particularly love finding an illustration already on the page to feature inside or around my drawing.


I think drawing skills are essential to creating all kinds of arts whether it be painting or sculpture or what have you.  I emphasize it in my classroom and have developed a curriculum that can teach anyone to draw.  I rely heavily on the art teacher's Bible "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by the late, Dr Betty Edwards.  I think anyone can learn to draw if they want to.

These are some new pieces I am preparing for my upcoming OKC show over Memorial Day.  I like to draw most of the new work then drag out my color media to conquer the next stage in the process.  I can easily draw at my desk at school while my students are working and use the work to provide some technical instruction for my students.  

Comments

Popular Posts